[Smaug] Finisar

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Aug 5 13:06:48 PDT 2006

[Snipping svwux at svwux.org, of which I'm not a subscriber.]

Quoting William Estrada (MrUmunhum at popdial.com):

> Shouldn't Finisar be added to the "Sponsor List"?  They are providing
> Internet support.

Hi, William.  I note that you posted this to the Smaug mailing list (in
addition to SVWUG's), and am responding there.  Are you perhaps
referring to Linux Picnic 15's sponsor list (as opposed to Smaug's)?

To my knowledge, Smaug's Internet support (hosting) for the Web site /
CMS is still furnished generously by got.net:

[rick at linuxmafia]
~ $ host www.scruz.org
www.scruz.org has address 207.111.193.19
[rick at linuxmafia]
~ $ whois 207.111.193.19

OrgName:    ICOnetworks
OrgID:      ICO
Address:    303 Potrero Street #42-102
City:       Santa Cruz
StateProv:  CA
PostalCode: 95060
Country:    US

NetRange:   207.111.192.0 - 207.111.255.255
CIDR:       207.111.192.0/18
NetName:    ICO-BLOCK7
NetHandle:  NET-207-111-192-0-1
Parent:     NET-207-0-0-0-0
NetType:    Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS1.GOT.NET
NameServer: NS2.GOT.NET
Comment:    ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
RegDate:    1996-05-15
Updated:    1998-10-08

RTechHandle: NO8-ORG-ARIN
RTechName:   Network Operations Center
RTechPhone:  +1-831-460-2000
RTechEmail:  noc at got.net

[rick at linuxmafia]
~ $

The mailing list is comped to Smaug by SVLUG.

By the way, I notice that nobody'd bothered to maintain the Smaug site
front page since last May -- so I've fixed it to reflect current meeting
dates.  Just to stress, I do think that the site design is an amazingly
good result, and I really appreciate Jay's work -- but wasn't there a
lot of brave talk about how the use of a CMS was going to make it
trivially easy for Joe Member to participate in site maintenance, as
opposed to the allegedly too-difficult CVS-checkout method Jacob Hunter
and David A. Gatwood established originally?

I strongly suspected, at the time, that this rationale was bollocks, and
it appears that I was correct.