[Smaug] Ubantu

Paul Thomas orbital04 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 13 19:46:00 PDT 2006

Rob Beckett <subwolf at gmail.com> wrote: Paul,

Did you try the graphical installer, or the text-based? The beta of

Not sure as there wasn't much graphics. I think the isntaller was
swapping out too much or something. Turns out the Ubuntu and
Knoppix live CD's when booting  look for a linux partition and a
swap partition, if they find it, they put down an fstab and mount
the swap partition. As I had partitions from a previous install
that's what happened.

Checking the Knoppix site I looked through the 'cheat codes' and
entered noswap and nofstab at the boot prompt, then was able to
remove the old partitions and start over clean with the Ubuntu install disk. As I have a Broadcom wireless device, I had to search
around and find out to put the bcm43xx module in the modules
blacklist file and install and use ndiswrapper instead with the driver that came with XP. Now it all works!

Thanks for the tips and encouragement all!

Cheers,

--Paul T.

the graphical version was extremely buggy when I tried it, and while
it's possible the final version is near-perfect, I still have low
trust for it, especially when one beta version had a tendency to
delete other partitions on your drive without asking!

I haven't checked in the last few days, but previously you could
download a version of the new combined CD that used text-only setup,
and it's a lot more stable.

Dont worry about GRUB, the installer will take care of that. Delete
the old partitions and start fresh. You wont regret it. :)

Rob Beckett
Santa Cruz Tech

http://mail.yahoo.com