[Smaug] Fwd: installfest!

Peter Belew abcruzww at gmail.com
Wed May 31 10:05:56 PDT 2006

Regarding defragging: My experience is that the XP defrag defragments
files individually, but doesn't necessarily compact the disk - that
is, it doesn't necessarily move all the files down toward the
beginning of the partition. I found a 3rd party defrag that does
compact the disk, but it is VERY slow - it can take a day or two to do
its job. I'm not at home right now, so I don't have the bookmark for
that program.

Here's a note on command-line defragging in XP, which some people
might want to play with:

  http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_defrag.htm

Oh - I just found the URL of the slow-but-thorough defrag program I
was trying on my home system:

  http://www.dirms.com/home/homepage.asp

This is something you might want to play with several days before
installing Linux. It's worth running the Windows GUI defrag to see a
graph of the distribution of files on your disk.

A web search will find some other useful utilities. This looks interesting:

  http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/xp-free-defrag.html

- Peter Belew