[Smaug] UCSC Linux Install Bash!

Peter Belew abcruzww at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 17:03:25 PST 2006

Hi -

On 2/27/06, Adam Thompson <adothompson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> My name is Adam the individual behind the class/lab that Shaeleya
> mentioned was studying Linux and putting on a Linux Installfest at
> UCSC.
>
> First the general plan
> (http://students.giip.ucsc.edu/course/view.php?id=6 feel free to login
> as guest) is to have students learn about various Linux distributions
> (Redat Fedora, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu and it's derivatives, Debian, etc) and
> then work on introducing Linux to the community. This course will be
> happening each quarter for the foreseeable future, so if there is
> interest in participating there will be plent of opportunities.
>
> I had a couple of questions for the group that I'm still trying to
> resolve about working with Linux and Installfests:
>
> 1. Is anyone that is experienced with dual booting Linux/Windows?  I'm
> not at all and need to test it so I can show my students this
> Thursday.

 There are a couple (at least) ways of doing this. In general, Windows
should be installed first, then the disk should be partitioned
for one or more partitions for Linux. Depending on the distro, there
may be more or less support for splitting the disk. Online documentation
will describe various ways to do this. It generally is good to defrag
the Windows partition before proceeding.

Dual booting itself is implemented in a couple of different ways.
The most common way is to install a special boot loader that comes
with Linux. The most common such loaders are LILO (LInux LOader)
and GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader). Most distros favor GRUB
these days, and provide tools in the installation program for setting
it up.

Another way, for Windows NT, 2000, XP - the NT-class Windows
versions - is to set up the NT boot loader's configuration file,
C:\boot.ini , to boot multiple systems. You can do this in a number
of ways, actually. The system I'm typing on  right now boots
Fedora, Windows 98, and Windows 2000, using entries in
boot.ini. The next time I install a Linux version on this system,
I will use GRUB, though, since setting that up is generally
automated by the install program, which recognizes the existance
of the Windows partitions.

It's good to have the latest version of Knoppix around, as well
as the live version of Ubuntu. These have some useful disk
utilities on them.

> 2. What's the deal with wireless and linux?  In the past I've had
> troubles and it either works or doesn't.

Basically manufacturers of the wireless cards and chipsets are
contracted with Microsoft or Apple to create drivers for those OSes,
and are reluctant to release specs to open-source software
developers. This is changing, but not fast enough. More and more
cards are being supported by distros like RedHat and Ubuntu.
The RA2500 chipset in my laptop was covered for the first time
in the latest 'Breezy Badger' version of Ubuntu, for example.
An alternative, if a Windows driver is available, is to use a special
wrapper kernel module, which interfaces between the Linux
kernel and the MS Windows driver.

> 3. Any other issues with the Installfest that you think we should prepare for.

 Be sure to have wireless available (actually I'm sure it is, I use UCSC
wireless as a guest a lot, from McHenry Library and elsewhere).

Also plenty of hubs or switches for people connecting with Ethernet
cables - and have the ports used open for "public" use. This has
been an issue at the SlugLUG installfests.

Peter Belew