[Smaug] UCSC Linux Install Bash!

Peter Belew abcruzww at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 17:10:16 PST 2006

Hi -

On 2/23/06, Meg McRoberts <dreidellhasa at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just passing thoughts from a lurker on the list...
>
> What is the purpose of an installfest like this?  I would think one would want
> to try to install as many different distros as possible for the experience and
> to compare and contrast.  And I might give some priority to the distros that are
> most widely used in business for the students who will soon be hitting the job
> market -- that would be RedHat (which I find fairly noxious myself), SuSE, and

 For non-commercial use Fedora would be appropriate,
since it's free and based on RedHat. I was using the regular
Redhats on my main computer till Fedora came out.

> Debian, I think, maybe also Mandrake.  And then definitely do

 Mandrake has been renamed Mandriva; also they merged
 with the Brazilian Conectiva, which was responsible for
 the porting of apt-get to handle RPMs.

 For Debian fans (and some others) Ubuntu is a variant with
 some more user-friendly aspects, and a more regular
 release cycle. You can download ISOs or request a few
 CDs for free! I can bring a few CDs of that. They are due
 for a new release in a couple of months. Since it's
 a Debian variant, updates are with the Debian apt-get
 package, though Ubuntu has its own builds of most
 everything, which are on their main servers on the Isle
 of Man. The company started in South Africa. I have
 Ubuntu installed on my laptop and 2 other computers.
 Ubuntu comes with a 'live disk' in addition to an install
 disk - you can run Linux off of that, even on a Windows
 box.

 This is similar to Knoppix, another Debian variant,
 which only comes as a live CD (though you can actually
 install it if you want to). I recently used a live version
 to get files off a Windows XP system whose OS was
 fouled up beyond redemption. Also the live systems are
 useful for partitioning a system that has Windows on it
 before installing Linux.

 There are a few local fans of Gentoo, for which one typically
 rebuilds everything in the system when installing to optimize
 the software for one's system. Also possibly that may give
 one more control of what's on the system.

 I just updated the Linux part of this web page:

  http://www.sonic.net/~peterbe/distros.html

 - Peter