[Smaug] Ideas for SMAUG improvement + meeting announcement

cerise@armory.com cerise at armory.com
Sun Jan 22 15:04:49 PST 2006

Well -- easy stuff out of the way.  There will, of course, be your regularly
scheduled SMAUG meeting tomorrow (Monday 1/23).

I believe we'll have two new people along -- they accidentally showed up at
game night last week.

Christian and I were chatting last week (and have been corresponding through
email) about some ideas to get UG projects going.  Due to the variance of
skill sets, we're tentatively planning on three separate projects at different
skill levels.

We had the idea initially of squirreling a server away at Tiny's which people
could ssh into.  Additionally, if enough people brought laptops, we could do
presentations relating to those projects.

In order to keep things interesting for all levels, we'd rotate the focus of
a given meeting each week and leave some smaller amount of time for the other
projects.  Naturally, this would be flexible based on interest.

Another idea I had relating to the server was setting up Xen or USL on it.  We
could give accounts to people which would correspond to root in a virtual
server.  We could route talk ports through a local talk daemon and give people
the chance to interact in addition to messing around on a box where they can't
hurt anything.

That's probably a good place to start discussion.