[Smaug] (forw) Re: Fixes needed in Smaug of Santa Cruz's DNS (domain = scruz.org)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 16 09:19:53 PST 2005

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:16:51 -0800
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: Crawford Rainwater <crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com>
Subject: Re: Fixes needed in Smaug of Santa Cruz's DNS (domain = scruz.org)

Quoting Crawford Rainwater (crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com):

[write that he's put in the requested changes]

Thanks.  Looks like they've fixed everything except for the missing glue.
(See: http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=scruz.org)  I'll
check on that again tomorrow, but _suspect_ a further tweak is needed to
correct that, such that you'll need to ask Domain Discover support staff
for help.

It's been a few years since I used them, so I no longer recall what's
their procedure for such matters.

Since none of our nameservers are _in_ the scruz.org domain, lack of
glue records isn't a serious problem:  It merely creates a slight
slowdown for queries, because the querying nameserver that forwards its
query upwards towards the DNS root needs to do a _separate_ lookup of
our nameservers' IPs, before contacting the nameservers themselves, to
do the original lookup.  Ordinarily, that IP data (the "glue") is
returned with the name of the authoritative server.

Lacking glue records for _in-domain_ nameservers creates a chicken-and-egg
problem:  Querying nameservers cannot resolve scruz.org addresses
because they need to resolve such a name just to talk to the nameserver.

----- End forwarded message -----