[Smaug] CMS strengths/weaknesses

Thomas Leavitt thomas at thomasleavitt.org
Wed Nov 9 18:08:05 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 14:59 -0800, smaug-request at lists.svlug.org wrote:
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 14:09:11 -0800
> From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [Smaug] Web site maintenance (was: scruz.org re-design)
> To: smaug at lists.svlug.org
>
> Quoting cerise at armory.com (cerise at armory.com):
>
> > Yeah, I don't think anyone is in disagreement on Jay's offer being
> > the best.  I started to balk at the idea of a CMS or the previously
> mentioned
> > use of mediawiki, but then I started thinking larger.  One project
> I've
> > always figured I'd get around to was putting up a list of problems
> I've
> > run across and my solutions to them.
>
> CMSes (aside from their document-process-management features, not
> discussed here) are a decent attempt to solve two nagging problems:
>
> 1. "Unfriendly" Unixey tools.  (Conversely put, aiming at wider
> participation.)
> 2. How to give people sufficient access to participate in a Web site
> without
>    host security problems.
>
> Standard Unixey solutions involve participants using shell access,
> ssh/scp, etc.  But managing the security and other system risks from
> giving lots of Joe/Jane LUGger shell on your server is difficult.
>
> So, you have them authenticate solely within a CMS Web context, and
> make
> sure that all hosted content is versioned and thus revertable, if need
> be.  Depending on the site's user policy (passwords, Captcha, etc.),
> you
> then have either a greater or lesser problem with comment spam, as Jay
> found out on from spammers' clobbering of the SCLUG wiki.
>
> Problems of CMSes include:
>
> 1.  People who _like_ traditional Unixey tools get screwed.  E.g., if,
> like me, you prefer to edit everything in $EDITOR_OF_CHOICE, you get
> your pick of several unsatisfactory accomodations of the brick-wall
> CMS
> framework that's always in your way.
>
> 2.  They passively but massively resist customisation.  Drupal in
> particular is infamous for this.  What I mean is:  Everyone starts out
> with:  "Oh, but our Drupal site _won't_ look like a funny looking
> Slashdot, unlike every other one out there."  And yet, they always do
> --
> because although in _theory_ you can customise and theme your way out
> of
> that trap, in practice nobody ever does.
>
> E.g., after years of unfulfilled promises, SSC, Inc.'s rump version
> of
> Linux Gazette at http://www.linuxgazette.com/ _still_ looks like a
> funny-looking Slashdot (after 100% of the magazine staff decided to
> pull
> up stakes and move the magazine to http://linuxgazette.net/).
>
> I cannot offhand think of a Drupal site that's an exception.  I
> welcome
> [...]

All,

Rick's criticisms of CMS systems are right on, in my view. At the same
time, I can say, flat out, I'm never going to spend the time to figure
out how to deal with the current system, but I'd be happy to click on a
wiki's "edit" button.

I agree that simple is better - scruz.org doesn't need an enterprise
class CMS... we simply need an easy way to edit and update content. I
haven't used Moin, but I'm going to download and install it to play with
it.

My wiki preference has been Dokuwiki up to this point.

On the other hand, if folks are comfortable with Drupal, then the
security/administration issues are really Jay's problem, not ours (as
long as we make good backups). :)

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt