[Smaug] Digest mode setting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 9 12:57:08 PST 2005

Quoting Max Baker (max at warped.org):

> As long as i'm spamming the list.  Could I ask whoever has maintainer
> capabilities to make a change to the mailing list?
>
> When in digest mode you can tell it to dump out a digest when a size or
> time threshold is met.  I'm not sure about the actual settings.  My
> problem is that when the list is low-traffic the digest gets sent a day or
> two after the posts....

This setting within Mailman's Digest Options has always been set to "Yes":

  Should a digest be dispatched daily when the size threshold isn't
  reached?

Thus, unless something's very broken in Mailman[1], you should not have
more than a partial day's delay.

> ...so I *always* receive the meeting reminders either
> late monday or on tuesday -- a little too late.

Well, we can adjust the byte size.  That is, Mailman's Digest Options
also include this one:

    How big in Kb should a digest be before it gets sent out?

It's currently set to the default value of 30 kB.   Do you want us to
try reducing that?

A typical post is less than 1 kB, but it's pretty highly variable.
"Top posters" (using the quote-the-entire-prior-thread-upside-down
model typical of, e.g., Outlook Express) would trigger a digest sooner
than otherwise, for obvious reasons.

I'm open to suggestions about the desirable size limit, but suspect
that this is either a case of conflicting requirements (i.e., a desire
for digests more frequently than daily would conflict with most digest
users' desire for infrequent mail) or mail-propagation delays elsewhere,
en-route to you.

[1] As a reminder, Smaug's mailing list is hosted through the generosity
of SVLUG.  I have no admin access to the machine as a whole, just to
Mailman's settings for this list.