[Smaug] scruz.org re-design

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 7 21:51:09 PST 2005

Quoting cerise at armory.com (cerise at armory.com):

> Alright, here's what I think.
>
> 1) Rick:  I don't mean that anyone else would necessarily
>    maintain Anthony's over David's or David's over Anthony's.
>    What I mean is that if Anthony puts things together and
>    owns it, then chances are he'll maintain it.

You know, I'd like to say I agree with you, but I honestly do not
see this at _all_.  That is not what Web designers do.  They come up
with something, and hand it off to the client.

I appreciate Anthony's generosity in doing this work, and I meant no
criticism in raising the point:  I was simply pointing out that claiming
Anthony's idea of a Web site is more likely to be maintained is a
non-sequitur conclusion.

> 2) Jacob:  Your input is valued, however I don't think any of
>    us apart from you have a particular sentimental attachment
>    to the web page in particular.

I personally don't have a _sentimental_ attachment to David's work, but
I appreciate its aesthetic merit -- and the thoughtful SSI design that
makes editing reasonably foolproof.

> It's sort of a millstone at the moment because it's continually out of
> date.

As mentioned, you aren't making sense:  Maintenance is an orthogonal
issue.  You and others are every bit as likely to blow off a relatively
ugly replacement as they are the existing pages.

> Modernizing it paves the way for automating some tasks (like,
> for example, when the next meeting is).

I don't think you have any idea what's entailed.  Furthermore, you're
again raising something entirely orthogonal and drawing a non-sequitur
conclusion:  If changes could be automated on an entirely new site
(which is a whole lot more difficult than you think, because of the way
the site works), then it could equally well could be with the existing
one.

Basically, you've let yourself get fed a line by a Web designer, who
simply wants to chuck everything out for reasons entirely of his own.