[Smaug] Fwd: Tux t-shirts

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Aug 21 22:50:02 PDT 2005

Policies?  Procedures?  We have those?  ;->

From: mike <mike at bcpub.com>
To: smaug-admin at lists.svlug.org
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 00:38:34 -0400
Subject: Attention LUG President, Officer or Represenative

Attention LUG President, Officer or Represenative

We are a group of developers (also members of the Athens Area LUG) who have
started a business called TuxDelux.com, which sells t-shirts with Tux the
Penguin on them.

We want to reach as many Linux users as possible, and as such, we are
interested in reaching out your members. We want to abide by your LUG's
policies and procedures on soliciting to members.

If you have specific policies and procedures regarding solicitaion, please let
us know the steps we need to take in order to reach your members.

Michael McSteen
Bryan Dumm

TuxDelux.com

BTW- if you were wondering, we are starting this project to have some fun as
well as help support our development project (http://projectamin.org). If you
are interested in learning more about Project AMIN or xml administration we
would be willing to present some of our ideas to your group, provided its not
too far away or too cost prohibitive :)

Another BTW- if you simply want to share information about TuxDelux.com with
your members, below is a copy of our press release. If you have any questions
and/or policies and procedures, please contact me at: support at tuxdelux.com or
mike at bcpub.com  Thanks again!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:

Tux Delux LLC
c/o Michael McSteen
175 Second Street
Athens, Ohio 45701
support at tuxdelux.com

Announcing a New Online Store for Tux T-shirts

Still waiting to get that fabulous Tux t-shirt? Wait no more. Now you
can get a Tux T-shirt and help out the Linux community! Introducing
TuxDelux (http://tuxdelux.com), a new online store solely devoted to
marketing and promoting Tux the Penguin.

The brainchild of two Linux enthusiasts, Bryan Dumm and Michael McSteen,
TuxDelux is an effort to increase public awareness of Linux by
shamelessly marketing and promoting Tux the Penguin, the adopted mascot
of the Linux community.

"We don't see Tux as much as we should. We don't see it on the street,
in the stores or in any media." said Dumm.  "We want to change that."

The two originally thought of the idea for Tux Delux while attending a
recent conference. They saw a lot of logos and icons promoting
individual software programs and corporations, but nothing promoting the
Linux.  "Mike and I always talk about the need for 'Place' (one of the
four P's of marketing) for Linux. The same holds true for 'Promotion',"
Dumm explained.

Both Dumm and McSteen think one of the best ways to introduce the public
to Linux is by introducing them to Tux the Penguin. They hope that the
more the Linux community promotes Tux, the more the general public will
be curious about Linux. "We want people to ask, 'hey, what's up with the
penguin?' We want to peak people's curiosity about Tux and Linux,"
McSteen stated.

"We think Tux is a fantastic image and that the Linux community needs to
rally around him to market and promote Linux," Dumm added.

Tuxdelux.com currently offers eight different Tux designs, including the
original. The company plans to introduce several new designs over the
next couple of months.

Visit tuxdelux.com to find out more. If you have any questions, please
contact Michael McSteen at: support at tuxdelux.com

###