[Smaug] SMAUG History

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 25 14:07:38 PDT 2005

Quoting Jacob M Hunter, ASD, WRT (jmhunter at gmail.com):

> I took this from the "information page", i actually have corrected it,
> but I hate screwing with CVS, if someone could update that'd be
> awesome.

I've now done this, and also brought all the meeting-date information up
to date.

Just as an FYI to anyone who (like Phil) is considering helping out:
It appears that David Gatwood's setup for the site is suffering a bit
of SourceForge.net-induced breakage, which one has to kludge around.

You may recall that you established SF.net project "smaug-web" to
virtual-host the Web site on.  Somewhere along the way, some bright
cookie took advantage of SF.net's per-project CVS and per-project Web
pages hosting.  David redesigned the site to use server-side includes,
template-style, gave it a clear, nice look, and set up a cronjob
(running shell script "web_update" from the project home directory
once per hour).

Near as I can tell, this script line on shells.sourceforge.net is failing:

cvs -d$CVSROOT -q get $CVSMODULE

where
  CVSROOT=":pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/smaug-web"
and
  CVSMODULE="htdocs"

Maybe, SF.net has lately decided to disable pserver access from
"shells"?  (Actually, I tried substituting a non-anonymous checkout via
ssh, and that didn't work, either.  In either case, I get timeout.)

Anyhow, I kludged around the roadblock by just tarring up my own CVS
checkout at home, scp'ing that directly up to the htdocs (the project's
Apache document root) directory, and untarring it.  Others might have to
do the same.