[Smaug] Happy 5th Year!

cerise@armory.com cerise at armory.com
Mon Jul 25 12:03:05 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:14:24AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> I could have included as tediously exact a recounting of corporate
> history as the murky public documents permit, but only at the cost of
> several extra paragraphs of exposition -- and then, what would you have
> been left to tendentiously and pointlessly argue with?  ;->

   Now _that_ is a stupid question.  The facts!  ; )

> In the context of recent discussion, the point was to clarify that
> valued local members of the community who used to work at old-SCO should not
> be blamed for new-SCO's (ex-Caldera's) PR/litigation campaign -- and not to
> track where old-SCO's trademarks and (alleged) copyright title went.
>
> (Recent court disclosures have also further reinforced something else we
> suspected all along: that Caldera/new-SCO was radically transformed when
> the McBride/Stowell crowd arrived.  So, folks, please don't give old
> Caldera people a hard time, either.)

   True enough about old Caldera folk.  I'd argue that many of the new SCO
folks aren't so bad either.  Many of them AFAIK do the best they can to avoid
getting called in on the various lawsuits.
   I only mentioned it because in the last couple of posts, you've suggested
that Tarantella was closer akin to old SCO than SCO as purchased by Caldera.
While the timing would seem to suggest that, the intellectual property (in
terms of the OS which is practically what defines SCO) went entirely to SCO
and not Tarantella.
   Of course, to the casual observer, all it meant was that the people you
had lunch with before were part of a different company.  Also, that the SCO
people were effectively going to Tarantella's cafe.  Of course, they never
cut ties, so it was pretty much business as usual.