[Smaug] Happy 5th Year!

Jack Craig jcraig at Brocade.COM
Mon Jul 25 09:30:54 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 19:23, Jacob M Hunter, ASD, WRT wrote:
> About 5 years ago i attended a few SVLUG meetings and a sluglug.
> Sluglug @ucsc was more of a school club that actually worked on
> projects and was involved in linux development to an extent.  I got
> tired of driving to san jose so i launched out own LUG, got lots of
> sponsorship to pay for everything.  VA Linux paid for our initial
> domain name, my company at the time netline hosted the mailing list,
> and many linux "companies" -turbo linux, suse, caldera, provided free
> swag.  Only thing I invested was about $15 in snacks for each meeting
> at costco.  I approached SCO and asked if they had a meeting room that
> we coulf use, turned out they had a whole meeting center, but they
> warned me once the "caldera takeover" happened it may be no longer,
> thus was true, after i think our third meeting they closed down the
> facility and put it up for sale.

dang, i was there then, you should see the pix for the grand unveiling
of sco/caldera, such a party at the time, we had no clue we were moving
to an even more slippery slope to disaster.

> I at that point distances myself from the group, frustrated as a lot
> of people started just showing up to get "free stuff" and i had been
> laid off, and didn't have much time for the group anymore.  One cool
> thing i miss about SCO was free beverages.

while i miss the free berarages, i also miss thos great user forums
up at ucsc every summer....:(

it was such a good company back then. :(

> SMAUG laid dormant for a while, and then over the last year has gotten
> hot again.  Initially we had some speakers offered by VA Linux,
> raster, mandrake, and a few other people.  Check out the archives from
> 2000 in our mailing list, if its on there.  We switched from our lyris
> server at netline to SVLUG's server.
>
> Mark the then president of SVLUG was very very helpful in getting
> things going infrastructure wise.
>
> That's all i can recall right now.

very interesting, thx! jackc...