[Smaug] howto configure linux for IP audio?

Jack Craig jcraig at Brocade.COM
Sat Jul 23 10:16:53 PDT 2005

hi karsten,

thx for this wealth of info, i will check it out in more detail on monday.
meantime, i was successful getting the pig using real networks player for linux.

gawd, i love linux! :)

-----Original Message-----
From:	Karsten Wade [mailto:phig at phig.org]
Sent:	Fri 7/22/2005 5:56 PM
To:	Jack Craig
Cc:	smaug at lists.svlug.org
Subject:	Re: [Smaug] howto configure linux for IP audio?
* Jack Craig (jcraig at Brocade.COM) on [07-20-05 11:12] bespoke:
> hi linux crowd,
>
> KPIG broadcasts over the internet. i want to know if anyone has
> setup their linux so it can recieve streaming audio? i am using
> RH WS 3.0.
>
> tia, jackc...

You can probably use any player that has MP3 support, such as XMMS.
You need to get a plug-in to get the MP3 decoding, freshrpms.net often
has a package to use.

If that doesn't work ...

Personally, I have the best luck with streaming all sorts of random
codecs using mplayer and their full line of codecs for Linux.  The
best place to get them is using a yum repository, such as:

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/mplayer/

You should really be able to install yum and whatever else you need.
Section B4 on this page is informative:

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/

Sometimes I have had to get the codecs directly from Mplayer's site,
esp. when the packages lag behind the releases:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

Lots of good how-to information there.  I tend not to use the mplayer
GUI.

You can also get packages from here:

http://freshrpms.net/packages/

I think you can use Fedora Core 1 (Yarrow) packages, just get the
.src.rpm and rebuild, usually as root:

rpmbuild --rebuild foo.src.rpm

Now, that is an example of how you could do it.  If the stream is a
Real codec, you could try HelixPlayer (hxplay), the open source player
that Real released to the community.  For myself, hxplay often tells
me it doesn't support the version of Real I am trying to stream.
Real.com also has RealPlayer for Linux, and that tends to play all the
Real streams.

The Firefox plugin for mplayer (mplayerplug-in) works really well.  I
haven't had good luck with the RealPlayer plug-in.

g'luck
--
              http://www.eff.org/issues/usapa/
                 http://www.costofwar.com/

< >  Karsten Wade           < >
 |   karsten (at) phig.org   |  "As sharp as the leading
 |   1024D/AD0E0C41          |   edge of a ball bearing."
< >  phig.org/kwade.gpg     < >