[Smaug] wRe: Gentoo Install Fest Questions

cerise@armory.com cerise at armory.com
Thu Jul 14 16:19:17 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 03:54:03PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> I just expect that ISOs under /releases are implied to have, in general,
> fewer rough edges during initial installation than, say, those in
> /snapshots.  If there's no quality difference, why bother having two
> trees?

   Errr...there are no ISOs in /snapshots.  Those are snapshots of the
latest portage tree.  While it _is_ possible to get a copy of the latest
CD in development, in general, there is only one branch of ISOs available.
   The only difference between 2005.0 (current) and previous ones is that
it generally has a few new additions, but otherwise, the same set of tools.
Installation hasn't appreciably changed in gentoo for quite some time.

> Once I _have_ a distro installed, if there's any reasonable mechanism
> for updating at all, the installer no longer matters -- rather like the
> standard rule for airplanes:  "A good landing's one you walk away from."

   Quite right.  But remind me never to fly with you ; )