[Smaug] question about meeting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 20 15:36:52 PDT 2005

Quoting Jorge Lizarzaburu (Jorge.Lizarzaburu at driscolls.com):

> I knew, I have to give more info about my problems; I'll do it next
> time, but I can tell you I follow instructions from the web sites on how
> to install the particular OS's.

Eh, probably easiest just to bring the laptop to a meeting -- but I
wanted to say that mostly for the benefit of others reading this thread
or finding it later in the archives.

> Could be, it was telling me something about the /tmp, besides you have
> extra more experience.

We may never know, at this point:  You might have just tried unpacking
some too-big packages there.

> I think I'll choose kde, but I've read, that some programs work good on
> gnome but not on kde and vice versa is true?

Not really.  GNOME and KDE are both collections of utilities and
programs, each with a characteristic set of dynamic libraries and one or
more characteristic window manager and some ancillary facilities.
As a generality, nothing stops you from running those apps, utilities,
and (if you want) ancillary facilities under any window manager
whatsoever, with or without either of those two "desktop" system's
collections of processes also running.

The above is a somewhat jaundiced old-fogy Unix user's perspective on
the two "desktop" systems.  Those systems' proponents prefer to regard
them as integrated environments rather than (as I would have it) as
collections of individual things that I would rather individually run or
not run per personal taste.  It's a matter of perspective.

> And I want to thank everybody again for welcome me in your group.

Welcome aboard!