[Smaug] question about meeting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jun 19 21:24:39 PDT 2005

Quoting cerise at armory.com (cerise at armory.com):
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 07:18:39PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> >
> > >    I don't recommend distributions like Mandrake or Ubuntu.
> >
> > Frankly, I don't like them much either -- but I figure people should
> > start somewhere and find out over time what they like.  (Thus, unlike
> > you, I actually _decline_ to recommend distributions at all.)
> >
> > Among other advantages, that tends to avoid having obsessives latch on
> > me to attempt to argue -- which is particularly gratifying because I
> > basically don't really care a lot.
>
>    It might tend to, but it's no deterrent to me.  ; )

Phil, you seem to have (1) suddenly written me off-list in response to
an ongoing public mailing list thread, and then (2) posted my subsequent
private-mail reply back to the public mailing list.

That's a bit of a two-stage screw-up.  But anyhow, here's the _entire_
reply I wrote to you in private mail, as long as you're broadcasting my
private correspondence to the world:

---<snip>---

Quoting cerise at armory.com (cerise at armory.com):

> I used to hear people say this about Slackware.  For some reason, I've
> been hearing others say it about Gentoo.  I don't really buy it.
> Mostly because I disagree with what defines a "newbie" distribution.

I state that concerning various distributions and not concerning
others mostly on the basis of bitching or lack of same about the
duration and complexity of installation.  Personally, I don't think
those matters are very important, but I recognise that most people
disagree -- and one learns quickly which ones newcomers will
statistically tend to whine about.

>    I don't recommend distributions like Mandrake or Ubuntu.

Frankly, I don't like them much either -- but I figure people should
start somewhere and find out over time what they like.  (Thus, unlike
you, I actually _decline_ to recommend distributions at all.)

Among other advantages, that tends to avoid having obsessives latch on
me to attempt to argue -- which is particularly gratifying because I
basically don't really care a lot.

Moving right along:

> I think a certain level of advocacy is important.

Knock 'em dead, tiger.