[Smaug] question about meeting

Jorge Lizarzaburu Jorge.Lizarzaburu at driscolls.com
Fri Jun 17 15:28:21 PDT 2005

Hello everybody.
For starters my English writing is so-so.

Very interesting e-mails I've been reading, a lot of info for this small
"windows" brain lol, hope, soon to be "Linux" brain.
I've been playing with gentoo, ubuntu and kubuntu, suse just finish
downloading it last night so I'll play with it this weekend.
Gentoo a bit hard to install (remember, the only thing I know about
linux I know is the name and who created it and of course the 300+
version of it, that is out there). So I went to the website and  I
follow the instructions and yes I try to install it didn't detect my
pcmcia network card (witch is Xircom), but for one reason it was telling
me that my hard drive was full, knowing that mi HD is 3.6gb free space,
because is only 3.6gb, so I lost interest on installing it after the
second attempt and 2 hours later.
In the other hand ubuntu was easy, put the cd on, and setup run ok( I
follow some instructions on the website), but it didn't detect my pcmcia
network card (witch is Xircom) also I couldn't change my desktop
size.(too small)
Then kubuntu, I try to install over ubuntu but not luck, I choose
kubuntu because, I like how you can play with kde and graphics.
Then I was checking   http://distrowatch.com/ and I run into
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org   this livecd Linux os detect everything
on my laptop, I was surfing the internet playing games, etc, the only
problem I'm still trying to make my desktop to the size I want.(too
big).
I'm going to keep playing with it.
 I'll see you guys on Monday, I bringing my laptop to play with it, I
promise my self that I will learn Linux and I always keep my promises.

Thank you all for accepting me and be part of SMAUG.

Question before I forget
I know Linux is different than Windows, why is so hard to install a
driver in Linux?

Well, see you all on Monday.
Jorge