[Smaug] question about meeting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 15 21:14:30 PDT 2005

Quoting relsqui at armory.com (relsqui at armory.com):

> That, on the other hand, sounds more immediately useful and easy to pass on to
> other people. If I understand correctly, this would mean configuring your own
> DNS server to recognize alternative root servers if you run one, or just using
> a DNS server that does if you don't. Is that right?

Sounds right.  Here are the directions for replacing the standard
root-nameservers file with an expanded one -- and optionally to run a
cronjob to update it to reflect OpenNIC additions:

http://www.opennic.unrated.net/server.html

> Indeed. I'm still not sure how multiple independent servers would avoid
> conflicts cleanly, though. What's to keep two different servers from handing
> out foo.bar to different people?

If I understand correctly, OpenNIC voters decide what TLDs to recognise,
and what authorities (and thus what zone information) to recognise for
those TLDs.  Their current roster includes the "legacy ICANN TLDs".

It seems unlikely that OpenNIC's voters would ever vote to de-recognise
the NetSol-admininstered .com/.net/.org registry information and claim
that someone else's registrations are authoritative for those
namespaces.  They _could_, though.

> In other words, it's just a continuation of the same process? Could it go on
> indefinitely? (http://this.is.a.really.long.url.com ...)

If you dig deep in the RFCs, you'll probably find some outer limit of
either level count or characters, beyond which is deprecated as likely
to break some software or other -- but I don't know what that is.