[Smaug] question about meeting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jun 14 17:17:34 PDT 2005

Quoting relsqui at armory.com (relsqui at armory.com):

> I keep remembering about half a second too late that if I want replies
> to go to the list, I have to tell it manually. Sorry for the double,
> Rick.

Eh, no problem.

> Just curious, what's .mil? Or, better question, where could I go find
> that out?

Well, there's my handy "ICANN" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Network_Other
document.  ;->

".mil" is the DNS for the US military's semi-public network.  My
understanding (which could be incomplete) is that secret information is
barred by law from that and all other public networks, but that
"sensitive" information is allowed.

The US Department of Defense Network Information Center ("NIC") is at
http://www.nic.mil/ , and has some further information.

> > .  (the hypothetical "root")
>
> Aha, that's why some (old?) URLS are www.blah.com./stuff, with an
> extra .?

Yes, probably.  A full-qualified domain name includes the dot at the
end.  You'll see that syntax, for example, in DNS zonefiles -- where in
many places it's actually essential that you include the trailing dot,
so that a default suffix doesn't get inferred by default.

[$35/year:]

> Oh, so I wasn't being ripped off (well, avoidably) when I bought one for that
> price once. They actually were that expensive. I feel a bit better. ; ) Except
> that it's still ludicrous.

Yeah.  $15/year is a lot better.  (When people brag to me about paying
$8, I just think of how much it's worth, e.g., to have a registrar who
will save my ass if I accidentally don't renew until 24 hours before
expiration, and who'll make sure the renewal goes through quickly.)

> Ahh, that's what really answers my question--why I can't go over their heads
> just by being willing to do paperwork. For lack of information, I've been
> thinking about it as if there were a central registry and one pays the
> companies just to add your name. Half-right, but I imagine the companies
> themselves pay for the privilege?

I think so.  They have to qualify per NetSol's "Shared Registry System"
guidelines, which apparently involve some rather complex things, and
execute a business contract with them towards that end.

> Besides the extras like DNS and hosting,> what do they need to do?
> (This probably shares an answer with the question below, or at least
> overlaps.)
[being a registry:]
> What work is involved that couldn't be automated? DNS would have to know about
> it, but arguably that's their problem. (I believe you; I'm just curious.)

Don't forget, any time you have a clientele -- even clientele that pay
you no money -- you have manual handling, if only because there are
special cases and things get screwed up.

I'll bet you can find out a lot of the details at the links here:
http://www.icann.org/registrars/

<MiniRant>
Please don't infer, just because I refer you to that link-farm, that
ICANN is the "governing body of the Internet" -- much as they would like
everyone to think that.  As you may infer from my essay on the subject,
I'm double-plus unimpressed by that organisation, and would like to see
their influence curtailed, rather than expanded.
</MiniRant>

> I think that's bit of an understatement of how much info is there. : ) Thanks
> again for helping to satisfy a newb's curiosity.

Yr. welcome!