[Smaug] [Wireless] dish antennas?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon May 2 22:42:04 PDT 2005

Quoting William Estrada (mrumunhum at popdial.com):

> Is the problem that I used 'CC' or that I posted the request to both
> mailing list?

To or Cc would cause the problem I referred to.  Bcc would cause that
problem, plus also a different problem:  Most mailing lists thus addressed
would hold the mail for admin attention as being "implicitly addressed".

> I wanted to reach the most people but I don't want to make everyone
> mad.  I got responses from both groups, very good information from
> several people.  What would you suggest?

<tongue-in-cheek>
Well, if sending mail to _two_ mailing lists is good, then sending mail
simultaneously to a _dozen_ mailing lists is clearly even better!  Or a
_score_ of them, if you can.  So do that, next time.  After all, the
Internet is all one big happy family, and everyone should hear from
you, all at once.
</tongue-in-cheek>

Seriously -- since you asked -- what I would suggest is pick _one_ forum
to post your question to.  If you don't get a satisfactory answer after
a while, post it to a second one, making sure you summarise any answers
you got before (elsewhere) that didn't work, and why.

You'll be a lot more popular with listadmins, that way, and also with
people who won't be encountering your question redundantly on multiple
mailing lists.

> Sorry if you or anyone else where offended.

Not offended -- but all the listadmins _were_ avoidably inconvenienced.
Not a complaint; just a point.