[Smaug] Linux installfests in Santa Cruz

Karsten Wade phig at phig.org
Tue Apr 5 10:04:47 PDT 2005

* Thomas Belote (tbelote at macadmin.org) on [03-29-05 13:40] bespoke:
> On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 11:47 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > Would you be interested in collaborating on an installfest?  Our main
> > resource/contribution is open source experts with lots of installfest
> > experience.  I thought you might have both a location and a pool of
> > people who would like to use free and open software on their
> > computers.
> Yes, I live in San Jose now, but would be interested in doing an
> InstallFest once every 3 months. In the future we can advertise in the
> FreeSkool class calendar that will be distributed every quarter from now
> on.

Great.  When the next calendar is being planned, can you contact us
back with some suggested dates for an Installfest?

> The Free and Open Source software class I'm doing at FreeSkool Santa
> Cruz this quarter will basically include an InstallFest the second class
> meeting. People may either bring their own computer or use one provided
> for them (probably something like a desktop Pentium 3 500Mhz-1Ghz...)
> that they can take home with a donation to Barrios Unidos.
>
> I can ask if Barrios Unidos (which is on Soquel Avenue in Santa Cruz) is
> up for having regular install fests.

Sure.  If they aren't now, perhaps they will be after we have a
succesful first one.

> > Personally, I'd like to hang flyers in my neighborhood (I live on
> > Riverside Ave. between Broadway and Barson) in Spanish and English,
> > and the same for Louden Nelson Community Center and the Resource
> > Center for Nonviolence.  I think the biggest challenge will be getting
> > people to show up.
> Having a flyer just for the install fest would be a good idea to so it
> won't have to compete with all the other FreeSkool classes.
>
> I think also to help get people to show up we should offer it as a Linux
> intro session where they can leave with a Live CD to try Linux out
> without having to dedicate a chunk of their computer to it.

That sounds like a good idea.  That's a slightly different event, but
it seems they can coincide -- that is, bill it on flyers as an
installfest and introduction to Linux, and advertise the free live CD.
At $0.15/CD-R, I'll bring as many as I can find time to burn. :)

- Karsten
--
              http://www.eff.org/issues/usapa/
                 http://www.costofwar.com/

< >  Karsten Wade           < >
 |   karsten (at) phig.org   |  "As sharp as the leading
 |   1024D/AD0E0C41          |   edge of a ball bearing."
< >  phig.org/kwade.gpg     < >