[Smaug] Paris Hilton, a Linux Advocate

Peter Belew peterbe at sonic.net
Fri Apr 1 12:50:17 PST 2005

Linux looks to Hilton for exposure
By Sam Varghese
April 1, 2005
Page Tools

>From The Age (Melbourne, Australia)
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/03/31/1111862521987.html

A new group set up to advance the cause of free and open source
software has decided to recruit socialite Paris Hilton into its
ranks as a means to gain more exposure.

The Open Source Development League said it was recruiting Ms
Hilton because it knew of nobody else who had managed to gain
such a degree of exposure despite having no apparent learning
in this direction.

"What she managed to do with that video was amazing. If that
wasn't enough, then there was the mobile phone address book
episode," Jeremy Bleats, the chief executive officer of the
League, told a crowded media conference on the banks of the
Yarra in Melbourne early today.

Bleats said the only thing that was holding back Linux and other
software of the FOSS genre was a lack of exposure. "People
should be aware of the breadth and scope of what FOSS has to
offer and Ms Hilton can definitely advance that objective,"
he said. "She can expose things like nobody else can."

He said the League had considered the merits of Pamela Denise
Anderson - said by many to be the most downloaded person on
the internet - but had finally decided in favour of Ms Hilton.

"It was more or less a two-horse race when it came to the question
of appointing an Exposure Executive," Bleats said. "The horse
with longer legs finally won."

Bleats had a word of caution for journalists. "Please do not
confuse our League with the Red-Headed League about which Sir
Arthur Conan Doyle wove a tale involving Sherlock Holmes," he
said. "I have to say this because our Exposure Executive is,
at the moment, a redhead."

In the US, the founder of the Free Software Foundation, Richard
M. Stallman, dismissed the League's move as a "cheap stunt."

 http://osdl.org/
 http://www.academy.softjoys.ru/news.php?news=140

		Subscribe to The Age and Save 34%*
	    (but online subscriptions are free - Peter)

*****
BTW a SlugLUG installfest has been proposed for 16 April
*****

--
      My Web:       http://littlegreenmen.armory.com/~peterbe/
                    http://www.armory.com/~peterbe/