[Smaug] Meeting last night went well

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 22 10:52:48 PDT 2004

Quoting Phil White (cerise at armory.com):

> We had 6 people show, which wasn't so bad a showing.  All welcome familiar
> faces.  A great time was had by all.  With any luck, the next meeting'll
> have more people.

Oddly enough, this is just about exactly what I said in the meeting
notes, which are at the top of http://www.scruz.org/meetingnotes.html .

I've also fixed something that might have been opaque to a lot of people
browsing the site:  Have a look at the centre top of
http://www.scruz.org/ .  Notice the "NEXT MEETING" line.

That word "(more)" bearing a hyperlink to the meeting-details page is
new.  Formerly, it wasn't present, and instead the entire "NEXT MEETING"
_line_ was anchor text for the meeting-details hyperlink, so I figure
probably a lot of people never new they could use the link to navigate
to a page with meeting details, including future meeting dates.  So, that
point should now be a lot clearer.

One thing we're going to keep an eye out for is meeting dates that
conflict with three-day holiday weekends.  This is a problem for groups
with Monday meetings, much more than when we met on Tuesdays or
Thursdays.  BALE[1] highlights meeting conflicts pretty well (because
I've loaded all significant holidays for the next few years into it),
but it shows only the current two months.

Checking BALE's underlying events database through 2005, I see three
conflicts, two that may matter and one that probably don't:

Monday, Jan. 17 2005 is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Monday, Feb. 21 2005 is Presidents' Day.
Monday, March 21, 2005 is Spring Equinox / Ostara / Eostar / Eostre.
   (Neopagans will be having fun, but that's probably doesn't stop
   any of them from attending Smaug if they're so moved.)

MLK Day and Presidents' Day are Federal & bank holidays; I don't know if
the former yet tends to be a "getaway weekend" for most folks, but the
latter often is.  LUGs most often either cancel or reschedule events
that conflict with those, expecting that attendance would be light,
otherwise.

Opinions?

[1] http://linuxmafia.com/bale/