[Smaug] DNS for scruz.org

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jun 28 00:29:21 PDT 2003

Quoting Eric Cain (ecain at phosphor.net):
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 07:58:45PM -0700, Graham Freeman wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,

Hmm, for some reason, I didn't get Graham's original, to which you were
responding.

> > CalTEG has been providing secondary DNS services for scruz.org for some
> > time now, and that's not a problem.  However, we are again moving a couple
> > of our servers from one colocation site to another.  One of those happens
> > to be the one serving as a secondary.
> >
> > So, please s/64.71.176.39/64.62.161.60/ and
> > s/ns1.calteg.org/enliven.jahiel.net/ .

Please note that the authoritative list (in the zonefile had included
NS4, not NS1 (in calteg.org).  The new zonefile, reflecting the switch to
enliven.jahiel.net, says that these nameservers will henchforth be
authoritative:

                IN      NS      ns1.linuxmafia.com.
                IN      NS      ns1.phosphor.net.
                IN      NS      enliven.jahiel.net.
                IN      NS      ns.gatwood.net.
                IN      NS      ns.infiniteloopfilms.com.
                IN      NS      ns.songcue.com.

Corrections welcome, as always.

> > Also, should I keep pulling zone data from 65.119.104.120?
>
> I added 64.62.161.60 to my allow-transfer list.

I think some folks have perhaps a time or two moved their nameservers to
new IP addresses without notifying me.  If that happens, guys, you
_will_ be blocked from pulling down zone transfers.

As it happens, I noticed that my system _was_ refusing some IP address
transfers of scruz.org, starting a few weeks ago -- but it wasn't
64.62.161.60, but rather 68.165.1.186.  Anyone know who that is?

I tried to send mail to root and postmaster at that IP address, cc'd to
smaug-owner at svlug.org, asking whose it is.  Nobody replied.

My nameserver's allow list for scruz.org is now as follows:

        allow-transfer {
        65.119.104.120;
        64.62.161.60;
        209.81.13.88;
        12.44.186.140;
        12.44.186.142;
        12.44.186.145;
        12.44.186.146;
        };

Again, corrections welcome.

--
<BLINK>Resize your browser so the following line touches both margins!</BLINK>
                           <HR WIDTH="75%">
                Best Regards, Rick Moen, rick at linuxmafia.com