[Smaug] Aid for Linux newbies

root root at littlegreenmen.armory.com
Tue Jun 10 00:51:04 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 01:29:13PM -0700, I. Craig Nichols wrote:

> I suggest NOT changing the meeting time/day from what it was last set to,
> unless this was the reason SMAUG died off. I personally stopped attending
> because my class schedule was interfering right up until just last week.
> Since the last meeting mentioned on the web site is Jan 9, it looks like I
> didn't miss much. If we restart on the second Thursday of every month, that
> makes this Thursday at 7 the first SMAUG Revival Meeting. Is anyone else up
> for that?

I recall there was a big annoying mixup and much experimenting with
different days due to sports and karaoke events.  The archive has more on
that, but it's irrelevant I think.  I recall that all beer is cheap on
Thursday while only one beer is cheap on Tuesday, thus making Thursday a
superior day.

This Thursday will not work for myself at the least.  I'm going to be busy
with my last final.

Probably the correct thing to do is lean on one of the Higher Powers at 99
Bottles and see what we can do about making our presence known.  Of course,
that assumes that there's enough people in the woodwork who'd show up.

5 people would do though...

> I have a box of networking gear that could help with an installfest (a big but
> aging 10bT hub and big but aging 10bT switch, an 8-port 10/100 switch, plus a
> few dozen short-to-medium cat 5 cables).

I'm sure my housemate Andrew would be up for it and between the two of us,
we have most of the hardware used for the SlugLUG installfests.

Failing that I can contribute ~5 cat-5 with another 8 port hub and a box of
mini-NICs donated to the Armory by Josh Neal a while back.