[Smaug] Lost my TERM, etc. ;(

Paul Thomas paul at cuenet.com
Fri May 16 12:15:11 PDT 2003

Hi,

I have an older Linux install that works, I know I should upgrade
more aggressively, but the following is an example of why I don't
like to (besides keeping up with the latest and greatest is like
painting the Golden Gate bridge, a never ending process).

When upgrading my GIMP by installing the source (and the source
of other things it required) and compiled and installed stuff,
I lost my TERM info.

What happens for example is from the command line:

% vi temp
Unrecognized TERM type

It does not matter what I set TERM to in my environment, VT100,
xterm, etc., none of them are recognized. Xterm does work from
xwindows however.

Any suggestions on how I might find my TERM types again would
be appreciated. I believe everything is still in the file
system, it is just not being found (/etc/ld.so.cache is pointing
to all the libs btw).

Thanks,

--Paul

--
William J. Broad: "The crux... is that the vast majority of the mass
of the universe seems to be missing."