[Smaug] The 'host' command?

Karsten Wade phig at phig.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 21:41:19 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Paul Thomas wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Andrew wrote:
>
> > you may want to try 'dig' or nslookup if they are availible, ive found
> > them both more verbode then host.
>
> I'm trying to figure why Pine is having the same problem, found 'host'
> doing it also. But was able to send the email with at least a web-based
> email client on the same server.

This is a nameservice lookuop failure.  Both pine and host (and other
things) are querying your default nameserver and sometimes coming up with
nothing or bogus information.

Host queries the name server set in /etc/resolv.conf; this is either
configured statically or dynamically assigned by your DSL provider.  The
host you are getting good information on inside of Alter.net is almost
surely using a different DNS server.

Host does not give you a whole lot of flexibility; I recommend that you
try dig for a more informative response.  Nslookup has it's uses, but it
is deprecated so there is no reason to get used to something that is on
it's way out.

Dig will use the default name servers, but you can choose different ones:

  $ dig @4.2.2.2 certaindomain.net

If you throw an 'mx' on the end (or any other type) it will query that
type of record.

To fix this you can try several options:

* Throw out the unreliable Verio nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf and
replace it with something more reliable.  The lines look like this:

  nameserver 4.2.2.2

However, this will be overwritten the next time you get a DHCP address.
There is a line you can put in the interface config script in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX (where ethX is your ethernet
interface), but I forget right now what that command is; it's purpose is
to ignore the DHCP servers attempt at overwriting your /etc/resolv.conf
file.

* Add another server at the end of the list in /etc/resolv.conf; it will
be queried in the case that the servers prior are not able to come up with
an answer.  This will not work if the first servers (primary, secondary,
etc.) give bogus information, only if they give no information at all.
This line may be overwritten by a DHCP server unless you tell it to leave
your /etc/resolv.conf alone.

* Contact Verio and tell them what is happening; tell them which
nameserver is not functioning, what you are trying to achieve, etc.  You
might want to give them a few days to figure it out for themselves, unless
this is a critical blockade.

hth - k'