[Smaug] is there another meeting planned?

Karsten Wade phig at phig.org
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:00:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Rick Moen wrote:

> > I noticed that there is also a UCSC linux users group.
> > Have you ever considered merging with them...?
>
> SlugLUG is a fine group, appealing mostly to people up the hill on
> campus for reasons of access.  (I used to go to Crown College, there, so
> I remember well the pain-in-the-ass aspects of town-campus
> transportation, parking, etc.)  With Smaug around, there's also a group
> in _town_.  Two groups sounds better than one, to me.
>
> When SCLUG went inactive (http://linus.got.net/), it claimed to be
> referring its town-folk membership to SlugLUG.  But SlugLUG didn't get
> any bigger or more active:  Substantively, all that happened was SCLUG
> shut down and SlugLUG didn't benefit discernably.  A net loss.
>
> By the way, SCLUG says it's coming back alive again:
> http://linus.got.net/wiki/chiq

Another point about this has been that general conversation and good cheer
have been the order at Smaug meetings, and not much else active outside
that.  SlugLUG has (perhaps until now?) had difficulty setting and getting
attendance at a regular meeting.  The technical discussions and
installfests/other activities are well attended, however.

In some sense, the groups are two halves of the same brain. :)

As for SCLUG, Jay has something devious in mind, I am sure.  Perhaps a
prankster LUG?

> http://bad.debian.net/shotgun_rules.txt

That summarizes our experience nicely.  Well linked.

> (2) 99 Bottles of Beer isn't a sports bar, unless it's had one hell of a
> makeover since I was there last.  It's a brewpub that happens to have a
> television, which unfortunately for Smaug is turned on and is noisy
> during Mondays with major-attraction sports events.  That's on top of
> the karaoke plague that also has recently cursed Mondays, there.

They don't actually brew.  Just server over 99 varieties of beer in
bottles and on tap.  If you drink >99 different varieties, they will put
your name on a brass plaque on the wall.  Or they used to, before the wall
was all filled with brass plaques. :)

- k', Mr. Accuracy :)

< >  Karsten Wade          < >
< >  http://blog.phig.org  < >              - Dallas Dobro