[Smaug] is there another meeting planned?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:51:52 -0700

Quoting gk (gk@proliberty.com):

> I can understand why SlugLUG might want to stay on campus.  Any idea
> of how many participants in smaug or SCLUG?  Any reasons why the two
> in-town groups don't work together?

SCLUG had been completely dormant for years.  I realised that it's now
showing signs of life again only _today_, upon revisiting their old Web
site.  You therefore heard the news about two minutes after I did.

Smaug meetings typically attract on the order of a couple dozen people.
But the group has had recurring problems finding venues.

> No I've just sensed some noise coming out of the place. I can't handle
> places like that.

Smaug had several meetings in a row when the upstairs room was quiet,
and we had it pretty much all to ourselves, except for occasional visits
from the staff to see if people wanted to order more food or beer.

The problems came up over the last couple of months.  First, there was
karaoke starting at something like 9 PM or 9:30.  (Check the mailing
list archive, if you want details.)  Then, more recently, there was the
sudden sports thing cropping up.  I was unclear on what the event was --
baseball playoffs?  In any event, it was a sudden reminder that Monday
nights were going to keep on being a problem through the winter, on
account of Monday night football broadcasts.

Smaug's meetings can be rescheduled at the same location, if someone
will kindly confirm that some candidate evening or evenings will not
have conflicting activities there.  Or someone can do the legwork for
some other location (http://bad.debian.net/shotgun_rules.txt) and make
an announcement.

Armchair suggestions, rhetorical questions, and statements about what
you do and don't like unfortunately won't get much done, in that regard.
On the other hand, if you want to make it happen, just go ahead and make
it happen.

rick@linuxmafia.com