[Smaug] Spam Assassin Thoughts

Karsten Wade phig at phig.org
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:35:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Randy j. Keener wrote:

> We are looking at installing Spam Assassin on our smtp relay box running
> postfix to cut down on our company spam.  Has anyone used this before, or
> have any thoughts either bad or good?

One server I frequent uses spam assassin, although I don't have it
filtering my email on that server.  Unscientific surveys and randome bits
of IRC chatter reveal that it does a pretty good job, and the only
legitimate email that it catches needs to learn to use different language.
:)

Below is the transcript of a message a I forwarded to a mailing list on
this server.  It was a good catch, althouh it wasn't strictly commercial
email, unless you consider politics to be a business. :)

The output is a little ugly here because of the additional forwarding
marks.

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 02:29:19PM -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin results
----------------------  > SPAM: This mail is probably spam.  The original
message has been altered      > SPAM: so you can recognise or block
similar unwanted mail in future.

---------------------  >
> --0-603157850-1034717359=:5088
>
> Senator Babs is watching out for _you_!
>
> Seriously, though, shouldn't she also spend her time making it a
> capital crime to force people to always use their SSN as if it were
> some sort of secure identity token.
>
> "For security purposes before we empty your bank account into this
> stranger's hands, what are the last four digits of the social?"
>
> Note: forwarded message attached.
>

> =====
> '''''''''''''''''''''
> Karsten Wade
> karstenwade@yahoo.com
> http://phig.org

> http://faith.yahoo.com
> --0-603157850-1034717359=:5088

> From: "U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer" <bulletinfeedback@boxer.senate.gov>
> To: "karstenwade@yahoo.com" <karstenwade@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Senator Boxer on Avoiding Identity Theft
> Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:18:18 -0700
>

> I thought you would be interested in the following message=2E
> =09

> =3D
>
> Keeping Your Identity Safe From Theft
>
> Almost every day, Americans write checks, use credit cards, order
merchand=   > ise through the mail or on-line - and never think a thing
about it=2E  We =   > accept these business interactions as simply part of
our day-to-day life=2E=

>   For a small group of Americans, these routine actions may result in
the =   > theft of their personal information=2E  The new and growing
crime known as=   >  identity theft involves the theft of your personal
information and the us=   > e of it without your knowledge in order to
commit fraud or theft=2E           >
> The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has developed an online guide to
identi=   > ty theft, "ID Theft: When Bad Things Happen To Your Good
Name=2E" The guid=   > e is available in the consumer protection section
of the FTC website at ww=   > w=2Eftc=2Egov=2E  The following information
is summarized from the FTC's g=   > uide and, if you want more
information, I encourage you to investigate the=   >  guide for further
details=2E                                                 >
> How do you know that you may be the victim of identity theft?  It may
come=   >  in the form of a bill for a credit card you never opened=2E  Or
you may r=   > eceive notice of collection action for a charge you never
made=2E  You may=   >  not receive your credit card statement or other
important mail=2E  You ma=   > y be advised that you have earnings on your
Social Security number for wor=   > k you did not do=2E  In each case,
someone may be using your personal iden=   > tification to open accounts,
purchase goods or work in your name=2E =20       >
> The Federal Trade Commission recommends that you take certain actions to
a=   > void becoming the victim of identity theft=2E  Its advice includes
the fol=   > lowing=2E

> - Don't give more information than is needed for any transaction=2E  Ask
w=   > hy a piece of information is needed, especially your Social
Security numbe=   > r=2E  Most businesses you deal with already have
personal data for you, an=   > d do not need it repeated over the phone=2E
=20                               >
> - Keep track of when your bills usually arrive and check with the
company =   > if you don't receive them=2E  Thieves steal bills to change
your address a=   > nd reroute your statements=2E

> - Review your bills and confirm that you actually made all the purchases
l=

> isted on your account=2E =20
>
> - Guard your mail from theft=2E  =20
>
> - Minimize the amount of information and credit cards you carry and
never =   > carry your Social Security card=2E  Keep it in a secure
place=2E =20          >
> - Give your Social Security number only when there is reason to do so=2E
=20= >

> - Keep all items with personal information in a safe place and shred
perso=   > nal information before discarding it=2E

> If you suspect that you or someone you know has been the victim of
identit=   > y theft, the Federal Trade Commission's website has detailed
information o=   > n steps you should take and includes a downloadable
identity theft affidav=   > it=2E  I hope this information is helpful to
you and encourage you to stay=   >  in touch with me regarding this or any
other federal matter=2E               >

> =3D
>
> Would you like to receive regular updates from Senator Boxer?  If so,
plea=   > se fill out the following form and return it to Senator Boxer's
Los Angele=   > s office=2E

bulletinfeedback@boxer=2Esenate=2Egov     >
> or fax to (213) 894-5012
>
> or mail to:=20
>
> U=2ES=2E Senator Barbara Boxer
> 312 North Spring Street, Suite 1748
> Los Angeles, CA  90012

> =3D
>
> For more information, please go to: http://boxer=2Esenate=2Egov
>
> If this message reached you in error, or if you would like to cancel
your =   > subscription, please reply to this message with unsubscribe in
the subject=
>  line=2E
>

> --0-603157850-1034717359=:5088--

< >  Karsten Wade          < >