[Smaug] Proposal for meeting on July 1st

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 22:38:37 -0700

Quoting Martin Wolters (martinwolters@yahoo.com):

> In a very selfish act ;-) I would like propose a topic for the meeting
> on July 1st:
>
> Setting up a 802.11b wireless home network
>
> I am willing to bring my PC and a laptop with wireless cards
> installed/running.
>
> (Maybe I'll have a Sharp Zaurus with wireless by then too - I just
> ordered it; or people can bring their 802.11b clients as well (IPAQ,
> laptop ...))
>
> Here a proposed agenda: + Exploring various Wireless options (e.g.
> exploring/explaining /etc/wlan.conf) + Setting up bind/DHCP/Samba a)
> be able to ping the Linux box from the laptop using the Linux box's
> name (e.g. configure bind) b) The best way to use dhcp (protect
> network etc.) c) samba support for Windows clients (so that I can see
> files from Linux box on the Windows laptop) + Setting up
> firewall/masquerading using iptables

In a very high-handed and arrogant act ;-> , I have listed your
presentation on the front page of the Smaug Web site.  (Well, the
cron job will put it there in a bit over a half-hour.)

> Does somebody feel comfortable talking about either of these topics
> (or all of them) and changing my various conf files in the course of
> that?

I personally think it would be great if you could talk about as many
of those things as you think you'll have time for.  Any chance you'll
have some sort of lecture notes or other type of presentation files?
If so, I'd love to put a copy on the Web site.

I'd say you're doing just great on your own, and wouldn't worry about
any hole in expertise or polish.  Since you mentioned you want to learn
a little more about BIND, here's a set of lecture notes I wrote, which
might help you out:  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lecture-notes/bind

--
Cheers,   The difference between common sense and paranoia is that common sense
Rick Moen     is thinking everyone is out to get you.  That's normal; they are.