[Smaug] EOL variants and non-typewriters

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 17:29:03 -0700

Quoting Peter Belew (peterbe@sonic.net):

> The choice of line-oriented versus word-wrapping editing isn't
> some much an issue of 'culture' or philosopy as a matter of
> functionality (and a bit of history).

Within the context of on-line fora, which is what I was talking about,
it and was is very _much_ a matter of culture.  The convention could have
been established either way (and software can and does compensate for
differences), but the point is that fixed-length lines became an
established tradition before the Mac-heads (and subsequent graphical
brethren elsewhere) encountered and clashed with it.  Thus my point.

--
May those that love us love us; and those that don't love us, may
God turn their hearts; and if he doesn't turn their hearts, may