[Smaug] Lack of X-cellence by FreeBSD user

Peter Belew peterbe at sonic.net
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 15:20:13 -0700 (PDT)

To X and FreeBSD experts:

I have a problem with a recent installation of FreeBSD 4.5 -
I can't start X with startx except when logged in as root.
On the other hand, I don't know how to configure my account
so Xwrapper works:

1) Trying to run 'startx', I see:

 Fatal server error:
 xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions

 You should be using Xwrapper to start the server or xdm.
 We strongly advise against making the server SUID root!
 When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
 the full server output, not just the last messages

 X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

2) Trying 'Xwrapper':

 X starts, but gnome doesn't start (and of course no window
 manager). I have to use ctrl-alt-BS to abort X. Issue here is how
 to configure so gnome and a wm will run for this user.

I can run X from a root login, using startx. Gnome and Enlightenment
work fine.

My X server is ...

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2062118 Jan  8 00:06 XF86_Mach64

 - Peter