[Smaug] CR/LF, wordwrap, newline & ASCII

Paul Thomas paul at cuenet.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 21:41:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Paul Thomas (paul@cuenet.com):
>
> > If Mac Eudora does soft-wrapping with inserting hard breaks, how did
> > the ^M characters get in there?

Sorry, I meant to say 'without inserting hard breaks'.

> You tell me:  Were the so-called ^M characters (which only _display_
> as ^M, being actually the non-dislayable ASCII #13 decimal Carriage
> Return = CR character) solely at the ends of paragraphs, or were they
> also in the middle of sentences, as if they were hard returns at the end
> of < 80 column lines?

They were at the end of 'lines'. At the beginning of the report are
some attributes like:

Author: Some Person^M

However the text instead of breaking, is a continuous line of text, with
the CR character ^M appearing where the end of lines _should_ be. But
instead of moving to a new line, there is are about 4 whitespaces, then
the text continues.

> To repeat what I said earlier, even MacOS software that buys into the
> soft-wrapping religion _does_ use hard returns to designate the ends
> of paragraphs.  If you think about it for a minute, you'll realise that
> that's the only way paragraph breaks would be possible in an
> auto-wrapping regime.

No, I have only been talking about _end of lines_, not paragraphs.

> In any event, the hard returns got into your your Mac-using friend's
> text files because some MacOS editor program put them there, either
> following some inner compulsion about where hard returns should be
> inserted, or because your friend pushed Enter there.

Well that is what I'm trying to determine, that these hard-breaks
are inserted by the Mac Eudora, or, if my GNU text pagers/editors
are sticking them in there. In the case of a long line, maybe my
pager(s) count 80 characters and insert a CR. But in the case of
a short line like the 'author' example above, I don't know how my
pager might discern that is the place to stick a CR.

Thanks,

--Paul

--
William J. Broad: "The crux... is that the vast majority of the mass
of the universe seems to be missing."