[Smaug] CR/LF, wordwrap, newline & ASCII

Paul Thomas paul at cuenet.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 17:46:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Paul Thomas wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Rick Moen wrote:
>
> > You quote your MacEudora-using friend as saying that his mailer "saved
> > to disk emails as plain text files containing only lines of text of some
> > specified length without inserting any end of line control character".
> > What he means is that, in saving to ASCII, Eudora doesn't alter e-mails
> > to insert hard returns.  Subsequently, any MacOS editor or text-pager he
> > uses (Notepad, Simpletext, etc.) to view the file will soft-autowrap
> > long lines to fit the display window -- because that's what MacOS
> > text-handlers pretty much always do.
>
> Reading this again, I guess I still have the original question. If the
> Mac Eudora "doesn't alter e-mails to insert hard returns.", then how
> do the hard returns that I can see in my text pager of the same
> file get in there?

One element I may have inadvertantly left out, but think I mentioned
earlier, is, the 'plain text' files I received were were delivered to
me in an email attachment as a Stuffit zipp'd file.

So the scenerio appears to be, my friend received some interesting email
blurbs on a Mac Eudora email program. He saved the email(s) (minus the
headers) as plain-text ASCII files. Later, he zipp'd these files and
their directory structre together with Stuffit. I received the zipp'd
file in with my Pine program, saved the zipp'd file into a directory
and unzipped it. When reading the plain text files, the lines ran together
pretty much as one but 'end of lines' were punctuated by  ^M characters.

If Mac Eudora does soft-wrapping with inserting hard breaks, how did
the ^M characters get in there?

Thanks,

--Paul

--
William J. Broad: "The crux... is that the vast majority of the mass
of the universe seems to be missing."