[Smaug] CR/LF, wordwrap, newline & ASCII

Paul Thomas paul at cuenet.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 17:22:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Rick Moen wrote:

> You quote your MacEudora-using friend as saying that his mailer "saved
> to disk emails as plain text files containing only lines of text of some
> specified length without inserting any end of line control character".
> What he means is that, in saving to ASCII, Eudora doesn't alter e-mails
> to insert hard returns.  Subsequently, any MacOS editor or text-pager he
> uses (Notepad, Simpletext, etc.) to view the file will soft-autowrap
> long lines to fit the display window -- because that's what MacOS
> text-handlers pretty much always do.

Reading this again, I guess I still have the original question. If the
Mac Eudora "doesn't alter e-mails to insert hard returns.", then how
do the hard returns that I can see in my text pager of the same
file get in there?

Thanks,

--Paul

--
William J. Broad: "The crux... is that the vast majority of the mass
of the universe seems to be missing."