[Smaug] CR/LF, wordwrap, newline & ASCII

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 13:53:11 -0700

Just to clarify my post:

> But some MacOS software will insert hard returns at the ends of lines,
> especially mailers and newsreaders (and any will do so wherever the user
> presses Enter).

I mean, "will insert hard returns at the end of lines being _edited_ by
the user".  I'm not talking about MacOS software rewriting data just
because it's handling that data at all.

You quote your MacEudora-using friend as saying that his mailer "saved
to disk emails as plain text files containing only lines of text of some
specified length without inserting any end of line control character".
What he means is that, in saving to ASCII, Eudora doesn't alter e-mails
to insert hard returns.  Subsequently, any MacOS editor or text-pager he
uses (Notepad, Simpletext, etc.) to view the file will soft-autowrap
long lines to fit the display window -- because that's what MacOS
text-handlers pretty much always do.

Your Mac-using friend has conditioned himself to think that hard returns
are bad, because their presence within paragraphs is problematic to him.
He may not even be aware of their presence at the ends of his
paragraphs, because he doesn't "see" them.  To the typical Mac user,
the data contents and its display are assumed to be identical.

--
Cheers,      "On the face of it, Microsoft complaining about the source license
Rick Moen    used by Linux is like the event horizon calling the kettle black."