[Smaug] CR/LF, wordwrap, newline & ASCII

Paul Thomas paul at cuenet.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:35:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Rick Moen wrote:

> In any event, I think he now understands where the problem comes from,
> and knows how to fix it using tr.

Right, got it!;) It was my previous opinion that what you all said
was true. However, someone was trying to convince me that their Mac
based Eudora saved to disk emails as plain text files containing
only lines of text of some specified length without inserting any
end of line control characters, that end of line control characters
were old fashioned and that my text editors were inserting the
end of line control characters, and that ^M may have been some sort
of 'artifact'.

I give that person some credit for hazarding their opinion right or
wrong as alot of Mac users out there aren't even interested in what
happens on that level.

Thanks again for all the helpful info!

--Paul

--
William J. Broad: "The crux... is that the vast majority of the mass
of the universe seems to be missing."