[Smaug] CR/LF, wordwrap, newline & ASCII

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:15:17 -0700

Quoting Brandon Edward Bickford (bran@cats.ucsc.edu):

> Since no one seemed to respond to this all that well, I believe the answer
> to your question is kind of complicated by the fact that it's mostly up to
> the programmer.  That is, at any point someone can put in a cr, cr/lf, or
> lf into a file using the ascii character codes, and start any convention
> they so desire.

True, but not relevant to the question:  Paul was asking, in effect,
what gets put into a textfile under normal circumstances when the
user is pushing the Enter key in a plain ol' text editor (or a Mac MUA
formats outgoing mail to 70 columns w/hard returns on his behalf).

In any event, I think he now understands where the problem comes from,
and knows how to fix it using tr.