[Smaug] CR/LF, wordwrap, newline & ASCII

Phil White cerise at littlegreenmen.armory.com
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:30:29 -0700 (PDT)

I think this response deserves quite a bit of enhancement.

Think about it.  There isn't any key (or arguably, combination of keys)
which has a universal meaning across all applications.  Especialy when
you're dealing with a text editor.  A newline can be the OS default, or
it can be an editor specific meaning.

It's trivial to hack your favorite source provided editor to echo
whatever your preferred newline sequence is.

It's probably safe to assume that it's the OS default character
response, but if it matters, I wouldn't bet on it.

-Phil/CERisE

Rick Moen spat forth: