[Smaug] CR/LF, wordwrap, newline & ASCII

Paul Thomas paul at cuenet.com
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:11:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Rick Moen wrote:

> MacOS terminates ASCII lines with CR (ASCII #13 decimal = D hex).
> Unix terminates ASCII lines with LF (ASCII #10 decimal = A hex).
>    (Presumably, MacOS X and Apple Darwin are exceptions.)
> MS-DOS terminates ASCII lines with CR LF.

Hey thanks Rick and everyone else for the great responses. I'm
being taken to task on this issue and my position has been basically
what you all have reaffirmed, but, one last question just to be
sure.

On which machine are these end of line characters inserted? I have
always presumed them to be inserted by the 'text editor' that is
composing the file. Is this wrong? They are not inserted by the
'text editor' opening the file are they?

Thanks again,

--Paul

--
William J. Broad: "The crux... is that the vast majority of the mass
of the universe seems to be missing."