[Smaug] CR/LF, wordwrap, newline & ASCII

Paul Thomas paul at cuenet.com
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:26:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Sorry for the remedial question but I have'nt found a place
that puts all in the above Subject in one place.

My question is what are the differences between the way
MicroStuff, Apple, and unix handle ASCII text. You know,
when you look at a MicroStuff ASCII file you find those
^M characters at the end of each line. Is that MS's CR?
Does Apple terminate their lines with CR/LF, and unix
with /n?

I notice with an Apple ASCII text file read with 'less'
or pico, the text runs all together. Does Apple have
their own 'ascii'? I believe MS has their own 'dos ascii'
and unix uses US ASCII.

Thanks in advance,

--Paul

--
William J. Broad: "The crux... is that the vast majority of the mass
of the universe seems to be missing."