[Smaug] Damn linksys card

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:45:47 -0700

Quoting Jacob M Hunter (jmhunter83@yahoo.ca):

> Hey guys I have a Linksys etherfast 16 ISA ethernet card.  I cannot seem to
> find a suitable driver... packaged in .deb or in source...

Jacob, is a poxy NE2000-clone ISA card honestly worth your time,
fussing over?  What's your time worth, per hour, roughly?

To the best of my knowledge, "Linksys Etherfast 16" is a brand name for
a series of ethernet switches, not cards.  You probably mean the Ether16
series of cards, such as the LNE2000.

If you're determined to sink time into this piece of crud, yank the
card out and write down everything written on its largest chip.  Among
that information will be the chipset identity.  That's what you'll
Google for (plus "Linux").  You'll probably end up here:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.24
http://www.scyld.com/network/

And here:
http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=26

The latter has information that applies _if_ what you're talking about
is the Ether16 series.  In which case, run the card's DOS configuration
utility to disable ISA Plug'n'Pray mode, make sure you've manually
assigned it hardware resources other cards aren't using, and then
use the Linux kernel's "ne" driver.

--
Cheers,      "On the face of it, Microsoft complaining about the source license
Rick Moen    used by Linux is like the event horizon calling the kettle black."