[Smaug] PacBell DSL from Sonic.net

Graham Freeman graham at calteg.org
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 16:14:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, John Callaway wrote:

> "In March, the FCC ruled that cable companies do not have to open their
> networks to competing Internet service providers, or ISPs.

This of course applies only to cable companies - not to the ILECs.

> A FCC proposal to extend the same exemption to DSL service is pending.
> If approved, the proposal will allow local phone companies, now down to
> four "Baby Bells," to deny other DSL providers access to local phone
> networks."

As I understand it, this is bad news for would-be CLECs like Covad, not
for ISPs like Sonic.

It's still bad news, but it doesn't mean what you think it does.

>    So it seems like I might have great uptime and support for a few
> months if I switch, but then it's back to the same evil monopoly.
> Considering my previous experiences getting connected with the evil
> monopoly (six months to get my DSL two years ago, and a month to
> transfer it to my new address a year ago), I think I'll just stay put
> with the evil monopoly.

I think you're misinterpreting the data.

--

Graham Freeman                  Executive Director, CalTEG
tel: +1 831 466 0853            http://www.calteg.org/