[Smaug] PacBell DSL from Sonic.net

John Callaway john.callaway at visicomp.com
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:43:43 -0700

   I've heard lots of good things about these independent DSL providers.  But
here's "the catch," as conveniently summarized in a new article today:

"In March, the FCC ruled that cable companies do not have to open their
networks to competing Internet service providers, or ISPs. A FCC proposal to
extend the same exemption to DSL service is pending. If approved, the
proposal will allow local phone companies, now down to four "Baby Bells," to
deny other DSL providers access to local phone networks."

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/06/07/broadband/index.html

   So it seems like I might have great uptime and support for a few months if
I switch, but then it's back to the same evil monopoly.  Considering my
previous experiences getting connected with the evil monopoly (six months to
get my DSL two years ago, and a month to transfer it to my new address a year
ago), I think I'll just stay put with the evil monopoly.

|  John Callaway      |  www.cse.ucsc.edu/~callaway/       |
|  Software Engineer  |  VisiComp, Inc.  www.visicomp.com  |
PGP public key fingerprint
   ( John Callaway <john.callaway@visicomp.com> ):
83FC 5E0B B650 7D92 796F  EC27 BC6E AC0B 9AAD 5B69