[Smaug] AT&T broadband - clarify

lmckusic@tsoft.com lmckusic at tsoft.com
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:53:13 -0700

Jacob:

	I understand you can get a 2nd IP number for $4.95 a month.

	Have you determined the price for running a server?

	I ask because it seems all the cable services deliberately charge a lot of money to run a server on their internet connection.

	I have been looking for a way to run a server from home, within the terms of the service agreement. In particular, I don't want to pay a lot of money for the privilege.

	------ Below is ignorable ranting.

	There is a big freedom issue embedded in discrimination against servers in internet service contracts. Server privilege charges affect who gets to run a server.

	Think about it, the claims that "servers use up too much bandwidth" are invalid because the same amount of bandwidth "used by a server" appears elsewhere on the internet as the same amount of bandwidth used by a client. The bandwidth usage is symmetrical.

	This ties in a little with the recent discussion here about the system administrator attempting to curtail file sharing server services running on an educational network.