[Smaug] PacHell DSL...

Graham Freeman graham at calteg.org
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 13:11:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, John Callaway wrote:

>    Has anyone living in Santa Cruz and getting DSL through Pac Bell
> (specifically, the CO downtown at Center and Walnut) had problems with
> their connection in the last 48 hours or so?
>
>    Mine's down, Pac Bell's site is unnavigable, and I hate calling them
> because I have to pretend I'm running W*nd*ws so they don't hang up on
> me.
>
>    Thanks!

I have residential ADSL service supplied by SBC-ASI (for the actual DSL
line) and Sonic.net (for Internet connectivity).  My CO is the office on
Walnut Street.  My line is monitored 24x7 and I haven't had any downtime
exceeding 1 or 2 minutes in recent memory.

When I had an office on Walnut street with 2 DSL lines, one with SBC-PBI
as the ISP and the other with Sonic.net as the ISP, I had constant outages
on the PBI line but rock-solid performance on the Sonic.net line.

--

Graham Freeman                  Executive Director, CalTEG
tel: +1 831 466 0853            http://www.calteg.org/