[Smaug] minor extra clarifications and such

Phil White cerise at littlegreenmen.armory.com
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 17:46:20 -0700 (PDT)

Improper termination of service is a reboot or shutdown performed in an
improper way (e.g. the big red button, pulling the plug, killing the
power supply, etc, etc, etc.)

Rick's list seemed pretty complete to me.  Unfortunately, I don't think
my latest favorite distribution (Sorceror) has support for it =(

Slackware also has it in the brand-spanking-new 8.1 and/or current.

One other note:

Rick Moen spat forth:

> (After installing onto XFS, you may be best advised to replace your XFS
> driver and support code from CVS checkout, according to this article:
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fs10.html)

Let me say *from experience* ignore the CVS checkout.  Keep track
solely of the kernel level patches unless you're suicidal or purposely
keeping a couple steps ahead of stable.  The SGI kernel is not a
stable one and it shows after about 10 minutes of uptime with disk
access.

-Phil/CERisE

P.S.  Anyone who wants a look at the new FS is welcome to do so on
littlegreenmen.  Just ssh littlegreenmen.armory.com (or l.armory.com
for the lazy) and login as request with no password.